Thursday, December 15, 2005

More on SMP's land

The Seattle Weekly explains how it's a bit more complicated than just selling the land back to the previous owners and calling it a wash.
Land won't automatically revert to earlier owners. "People ask why we can't give them back" if the sellers give back the money, says outgoing SMP board member Cleve Stockmeyer. "Our hands are tied. Under state law, they [ex-owners] have no interest in it," and SMP is obligated to sell the property for the best price.

However, former owners and the general public can submit bids on the properties, which are being eyed by commercial developers and public agencies, as well.

3 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger taiki said...

I am really angry with Seattle Monorail Project. SMP had decided to give back Mr. John Fuji his property, also known as the "sinking ship". But I am asking myself, what about me? How is the situation any different? I believe that if SMP had disclosed their financial plan at the beginning, then the Monorail recall would have passed. I am sure, especially with the recent results and taxpayers' reaction; I would not have lost my property. Also through this whole occurrence, SMP's "us versus them" mentality has cost our family not only monetarily, but has drained us emotionally and mentally, and yet it continues. They basically want to make a profit off my property to pay off their debts, but why should I have to lose as well because of their poor planning and mismanagement? My husband and I have worked too hard from the moment we immigrated to the US to just give up and let a company like SMP roll over all things my family sacrificed. Former owners whose property was purchased by SMP should be given first right to purchase their property back.
SMP had the money and power. It misused both.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Joe Goldberg said...

Mrs. Lee,

I definitely agree with you. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help your cause.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Dan Bridge said...

Joe - thanks for the comments on my blog - NZ is beautiful - lots of good scenery, but not much else to do. How's life?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home